Subregional Coordination Mechanism for West Africa
The subregional office for West Africa works in collaboration with the Economic Community of West African States, the major regional economic community in the subregion, in addition to the West African Economic and Monetary Union, the Mano River Union and a multitude of other intergovernmental organizations in West Africa.
The subregional coordination mechanism established in a meeting that was held in Dakar in November 2013, organized by the subregional office for West Africa. The subregional mechanism serves as a framework for enhanced cooperation between the United Nations and the inter-governmental organizations of the subregion that are part of the West African Intergovernmental Organizations Framework. Six development priority areas for cooperation between United Nations agencies and the West African Intergovernmental Organizations Framework were determined as:
1. governance, peace and security and humanitarian action;
2. economic integration; infrastructure development;
3. human development and gender equity;
4. agriculture and food security, water and the environment;
5. development of the private sector, industry and mines.