ECA at the Intra-African Trade Fair 2021
The second Intra-African Trade Fair (IATF2021) organised by the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) in collaboration with the African Union (AU) and in partnership with the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), will take place in Durban, KwaZulu Natal from 15th to 21st November 2021. The IATF 2021 under the theme “Building bridges for a successful African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)” is a key event in boosting trade in Africa as it enables:
- African buyers and sellers to meet and explore business opportunities - and attracts investors and trade organisations from all over the world;
- Make valuable connections (networking);
- Showcasing the best of African business.
IATF Program of Events
Trade and Investment Forum comprising: IATF2021 Conference
This conference featuring leading African and international speakers and a variety of sessions dealing with African trade and investment. Specifically, the conference will feature dedicated sessions on trade and investment opportunities under the AfCFTA and will also include training workshops covering exporting, standards, and marketing.
Business-to-Business and Business-to-Government
The will provide opportunities for matchmaking, business exchanges and conclusion of business and investment deals.
Selected countries to showcase their trade, investment, tourism and cultural opportunities. Virtual Trade Fair (VTF) This will enable showcasing of goods, services and investment opportunities on an interactive online platform. The Virtual Trade Fair will continue even after the Trade Fair has concluded. Visit for more information on VTF https://www.intrafricantradefair.com/en/virtual-trade-fair
Showcasing Africa’s creative economy with a Fashion Show, Music, Film, Creative Africa Summit and a dedicated Creative Industry Exhibition.
The IATF Automotive Show
The Automotive Show segment will have a dedicated Auto Exhibition, an Automotive Workshop and a B2B/B2G for the Automotive Industry. IATF Automotive Show will present a platform for car manufacturers, assemblers, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and component suppliers to exhibit their products and also interact with potential buyers and suppliers. Youth Start-Up
The Youth Start-Up
This segment will have a dedicated Pavilion for Youth Start-Ups in Africa where they will showcase their goods and services, and IATF2021 will provide opportunities for matchmaking with venture capitalists, entrepreneurship training, networking amongst the youth and other delegates at the IATF.
For more information, please visit the official IATF website https://www.intrafricantradefair.com
ECA will take part in the following sessions:
- The power of trade fairs in opening markets and building trade and investment bridges
- The Role of Quality Infrastructure and the Harmonisation of Trade Standards to Facilitate Intra-African Trade and Investment
- Roundtable Event: Harmonisation of Standards for Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices in Africa (Hybrid)
- Opportunities and challenges facing women entrepreneurs
- "Meet the Leaders Session" in the Youth Start up Pavillion
- Changing the Narrative- Youth Harnessing Opportunities in the Agribusiness Value Chain
- Made in Africa Quality Standards Nexus with MSMEs, Women and Youth
Click here to visit the full programme https://www.intrafricantradefair.com/en/conference
For the event, ECA has built a stand C219 in Hall 2-ICC Durban to exhibit its knowledge products which can be found on our website: https://www.uneca.org/african-trade-policy-centre/publications
In our efforts to strengthen women and youth led Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the AfCFTA, the African Trade Policy Centre (ATPC) of ECA sponsored 37 women and youth led SMEs and partnered with UN Women to exhibit their products and services in our stands.
On the side lines of the event, ATPC and UN Women organized two side events (Concept note here):
- Reaping the benefits of the AfCFTA through SME integration into regional/continental value chains
Objective: Guide and better equip SMEs with value chain integration strategies within the context of the AfCFTA
16 November from 8:30 to 12:00
Venue: Onomo Hotel
- Establishing an entrepreneurial ecosystem for women and youth led businesses in the AfCFTA: UN Women-sponsored coffee session
Objective: Explore and agree on priority challenges confronting women-led businesses in the network and to identify targeted interventions that will support these businesses on their trading journeys in the AfCFTA
18 November from 14:30 to 17:30
Venue: Onomo Hotel