The Regional Forum is an intergovernmental platform convened annually by the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in collaboration with the African Union Commission, the African Development Bank and the United Nations system to review progress, share experiences and lessons learned and build a consensus on policy options and actions in the form of key messages to accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Agenda 2063. Accordingly, the Forum serves as an important mechanism to ensure integrated monitoring and evaluation of the impact and supporting countries in unlocking bottlenecks in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063 as stipulated in the AU – UN Framework on implementation of the two agendas.
The Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development (ARFSD) adopts as its outcome key messages that serve as Africa’s collective input to the annual sessions of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. It therefore serves as an important mechanism, not only for tracking progress in implementation at the regional level, but also for keeping all stakeholders mobilized and engaged in strengthening their commitment to concerted action and in garnering international support for efforts to translate the Sustainable Development Goals into measurable and shared prosperity that benefits the planet and its people.
The seventh session of the Regional Forum (ARFSD-7) will be hosted in Brazzaville by the Government of the Republic of Congo, from 1 to 4 March 2021.
The theme of the Forum is “Building forward better: towards a resilient and green Africa to achieve the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063”. The Forum will undertake in-depth review of implementation of nine selected Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the corresponding goals of Agenda 2063. The selected SDGs are 1, 2, 3, 8, 10, 12, 13, 16 and 17.
ARFSD-7 will bring together Ministers, senior officials, experts and practitioners from United Nations Member States, private sector, civil society, academia and United Nations entities.
It will be preceded by three main pre-events on the themes “Preparatory and capacity-development workshop for major groups and other stakeholders in the Africa region”, “Strengthening voluntary national reviews”, and the “Science Technology and Innovation Forum”.
Call for proposals for Side Events
As an open space for the exchange of cutting-edge ideas, experiences and lessons learned in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063, the Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development is a unique opportunity for various stakeholders to organize side-events that have a clear focus on the themes and subthemes of the Forum and that will feed into its deliberations.
Member States, United Nations organizations and major groups and stakeholders are invited to submit their proposals for side events using the event request form by 22 January 2021.
Please note that, in accordance with the structure planned for the ARFSD-7, most side events will be organized virtually on 25-26 February 2021, prior to the actual Forum from 1-4 March, except those organized by the host country, which will be organized face-to-face at the margins of the Forum. Also note that these events should be organized with the objective of sharing experiences, best practices and innovative perspectives on the themes and subthemes of the Forum and should strengthen partnerships and the means of Goal implementation.
The events can focus on one or more of the subthemes of the Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development, taking into account integrated approaches to transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies.
Any entity interested in organizing a side event during the Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development can submit a proposal. Owing to space and other considerations, however, each organizer cannot be involved in more than one side event. The submission must be on the event request form, providing a detailed description of the event (1 pager), the organizers, partners, panelists and speakers, and how the event would contribute to discussions on the main theme or one or more of the subthemes of the Forum.
Side event request form Click here
The basic criteria for selection include the following:
- Given the inclusive nature of the Goals in general and of SDG17 in particular, priority will be given to side events organized by groups of four or more partners, sponsors or participants, or any combination thereof;
- The theme of the side event should relate to at least two of the subthemes provided above or be cross-cutting in nature;
- Consideration should be given to gender balance and geographic (including local government) in the choice of speakers and panelists;
- The format of the side event should ensure broad stakeholder participation, including that of the private sector and major groups, and actively involve the audience;
- The outcome of the side event should inform the overall outcome of ARFSD 7, through the parallel discussions;
- The side event should last no longer than 1 and 1/2 hours and should not overlap with the main sessions of the Forum.
Event organizers will be informed of the results of the selection process and a list of all registered pre-events and side events will be published after the registration process has been completed.
Responsibility of the organizers
The logistics of the side events, such as room and virtual platform allocation and the setting up of audiovisual equipment, need to be arranged in collaboration with the side events coordinator. The organizers of the side events will be responsible for the following:
- Inviting speakers and panelists and handling their visa and travel arrangements (if applicable);
- Inviting participants from member States, major groups and other stakeholders;
- Preparing a summary report on the event and sharing it with the secretariat of the Forum;
- Publicity, reproduction of materials and media coverage;
- Any costs related to the venue, equipment and services;
- Any catering services that may be required, which must be arranged through the designated caterers of the Forum and fully paid by the organizers (if applicable);
- Events should be conducted in English or French. Arrangements for simultaneous interpretation will be the responsibility of the organizers.
All queries relating to pre-events and side events should be addressed to the following:
Email : email@example.com
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Email : email@example.com
How to Register as Self-Sponsored Participant
- Go to ARFSD 2021 website (https://www.uneca.org/arfsd2020).
- Click on the menu item “Self-Sponsored participants registration” (https://www.uneca.org/content/self-sponsored-participant-registration).
- Fill in the registration details.
- Following the Secretariat’s approval, you will be sent an invitation letter that you can use to facilitate your travel arrangement to attend the Forum.