The Intergovernmental Committee of Senior Officials and Experts (ICE) meeting is the statutory organ of the ECA Office for Eastern Africa. The meeting is organized annually to discuss key issues pertaining to the economic and social development of region with the view to making appropriate recommendations to address them.
The principle that guides the ICE discussions is that countries of the same region must determine their transformative agenda.The meeting attracts several officials including rrepresentatives governments; various regional, sub-regional and national development focused organisations, experts representing the African Union, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), civil society organizations as well as the representatives of the United Nations system and members of the press. Deliberate efforts are also made to bring in women and youth participation.
The theme for 2020 ICE is: The Economic and Social Impacts of the Covid-19 Crisis on Eastern Africa: Strategies for Building-Back-Better and will be held virtually.
Prior to the event, please complete your registration in this online form.
The bilingual event will be hosted virtually on the Kudo platform. To join the meeting on Monday, please use the link below.
Day 1 - 24 November 2020
To join as PARTICIPANT: https://live.kudoway.eu/ad/220215398327
To join as VIEWER (BROADCAST MEETING): https://live.kudoway.eu/br/110215763470
Day 2 - 25 November 2020
To join as PARTICIPANT: https://live.kudoway.eu/ad/220215046800
To join as VIEWER (BROADCAST MEETING): https://live.kudoway.eu/br/110213610148
To access pre-reading materials, including the draft papers that will be discussed, please use this link to the event page
The last seven ICSOEs were held as follows:
- 2019 in Eritrea : "Leveraging New Opportunities for Regional Integration in Eastern Africa"
- 2018 in Rwanda : “Implementing the African Continental Free Trade Area in Eastern Africa: From Vision to Action”
- 2017 in Comoros : “Accelerating Structural Transformation in Eastern Africa: Catalysts and Constraints”
- 2016 in Kenya on “Institutions, Decentralizations and Structural Transformation in Eastern Africa”
- 2015 in Madagascar on “Harnessing the Blue Economy for the Development of Eastern Africa”
- 2014 in D.R. Congo on “National Champions, Foreign Direct Investment and Structural Transformation in Eastern Africa”
- 2013 in Uganda on “Energy Access and Security in Eastern Africa”